Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Family Heirloom


I love all things vintage, and I especially hold a special place in my heart for things that I can pass down to my own children. So when my first daughter was born, I wanted to make a baptismal gown that held meaning to myself and my family. I had left over lace from my own wedding gown (that I helped design with my fashion design teacher) and I decided to use that on my daughter's gown. I sewed pieces of the lace by hand and I also glued on, one by one, about 300 swarovski crystals on the bodice and on the skirt.

My husband and I knew we were going to have more children, so I wanted this gown to be the baptismal gown that each of our children would wear on their special day. So when our second daughter had her baptism, she wore the same gown.

I hope this becomes a tradition and a treasured heirloom, and our children pass this gown down to their own children.

No comments:

Post a Comment